Joining 250 UNA-USA members from around the nation representing 200,000 members included attendees from UNA-ATL, Dr. Selen Beduk, President, UNA-ATL; Tracy Gray, VP of Advocacy; Ikoie Norman, VP of Fundraising; Emmanuel Adeyemi, Member, and Caleb Outlar, Student Member.
The overwhelming support from the American public inspired our advocacy efforts. According to recent surveys, 69% of voters believe the UN is still crucial today, and 74% agree that the U.S. should collaborate with allies and international organizations to achieve foreign policy goals. These statistics reinforce our conviction that our advocacy work is making a difference.
We shared success stories demonstrating the impact of UN initiatives. For instance, through the UN-led Black Sea Grain Initiative, over 30 million tons of grain and agricultural products have been delivered, benefiting countries from Kenya to Bangladesh. Additionally, global efforts, spearheaded by the U.S. and UN agencies, have produced over 1.85 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses in 146 countries. These achievements exemplify the tangible outcomes that can be realized through our collective action.
To encourage our UNA-ATL members to continue advocating and contacting their Congressional Representatives, I offer the following inspiring words that apply to our Atlanta Chapter Members United for Impact by the 2023 UNA-USA Leadership Summit:
- "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." — Beverly Sills
- "It's not about perfect. It's about effort." — Jillian Michaels
- "Believe you can, and you're halfway there." — Theodore Roosevelt
- "You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." — Michael Jordan
- "Don’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." — John Wooden